Homemade Focaccia Bread with Rosemary, Oregano, Tomatoes and Parmesan
So today, as soon as my oven is heated, I’m baking bread, homemade Focaccia Bread with Rosemary, Oregano, Tomatoes and Parmesan. Focaccia bread with its crusty exterior and soft interior is indeed, a classic Italian flat bread. It has tons of flavor and for sure is a family favorite!
Focaccia and more…
Additionally, Focaccia can be used to make a panini (toasted and sometimes pressed) sandwich or as the base for a flatbread pizza. In fact, cut up in cubes, it makes a fantastic tomato soup topping. Leftovers (If that happens!) are also great in a savory bread pudding.
To tell the truth, after inhaling deeply, I usually end up eating sliced focaccia wedges warm, simply right out of the oven. Mmmm!!
You will need:
1 1/3 cups warm water
1 package dry yeast
4 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional for kneading/dusting
1 tbsp. kosher salt
2 tbsp. finely chopped fresh rosemary, divided
2 tsp. finely chopped fresh oregano, divided
½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
Handful of fresh cherry tomatoes, halved
2-3 garlic cloves, sliced
Handful of parmesan cheese, grated.
“Try varying the toppings, Such as adding olives or pancetta. Share your add on ideas in the comments and have fun!”
Directions for Homemade Focaccia Bread:
- To begin with, combine the warm water, yeast and sugar in a small bowl. Put the bowl in a warm, not hot or cool, place until the yeast starts to bubble, at least 15 minutes.
2. Next, using a medium size bowl add the flour, 1 tablespoon of kosher salt, 1/4 cup olive oil, 1 ½ tbsp. rosemary and 1 tsp. oregano and combine with the yeast mixture.
3. Now, turn combined mixture onto a lightly floured service. Hand knead dough for approximately 10 minutes, If the dough is really sticky and tacky add small amounts of flour until smooth.
4. Next, place dough in a mixer bowl that has been lightly coated with olive oil. Then, Cover with a clean dish towel and let rise for approximately 2 hours. Dough should be about doubled in size.
5. After this, punch down dough and press down onto olive oil coated jelly roll pan. Cover with dish towel and let rise as before for approximately an hour.
6. Press fingertip into risen dough to make dimples. Brush with olive oil. Then, place tomatoes and garlic slices in the dimples. Finally, Add remaining herbs and handful of Parmesan cheese.
7. Bake in preheated 400° oven for 20-25 min. Remove the focaccia from the oven and let it cool before cutting and serving.
Looking for more Italian-style recipes? Check out: https://moppinaandwoodenspoon.com/2020/08/21/chicken-meatball-parmesan-sub/
You can also visit at Facebook.com/MoppinaandWoodenSpoon & https://www.instagram.com/moppinaandwoodenspoon/
2 thoughts on “Homemade Focaccia Bread”