My Raspberry Peach Crostata
When the end of summer connects with the beginnings of Autumn, turn your oven on for the perfect dessert, my Raspberry Peach Crostata. By combining the tartness of a handful of fresh raspberries and the sweetness of a few peaches, along with your favorite uncooked pie crust (homemade or ready-made) you can make this beautiful rustic pie in less than an hour.
What is a Crostata
To begin with, a Crostata is an Italian baked tart. Generally, it is baked free-form on a cookie sheet and can have a savory or sweet filling. A classic Crostata is usually made with a dough that contains eggs and is crumblier than a basic pie dough. However, in my recipe I will share with you my version that can be made with a ready-made uncooked pie crust, that will allow you the time to make an amazing Raspberry Peach Crostata even when your time in the kitchen is limited.
Easy as Pie
If you wish, you may indeed use your favorite pie crust recipe. I actually stumbled upon this idea of using a ready-made uncooked pie crust when I was shopping for a last-minute dinner and came across a batch of very ripe peaches in my local market, last weekend.
In brief, I unrolled and placed one of the crusts onto the center of a cookie sheet and after brushing it lightly with melted butter, I unrolled and placed the second one directly on top. Using my rolling pin, I gently combined the two crust into one. At this point, you can fill with your favorite prepared filling such as stone fruits, berries or apples, just make sure to leave a 1 ½ border.
The folded border of a crostata is what gives it that rustic look and so you will want to handle gently, but know that your pleated or rolled edges do not need to be perfect.
What you will need to make my Raspberry Peach Crostata
- Ready-made uncooked double Pie Crust
- 1 tbsp. Butter, melted
- 5 large ripe Peaches, peeled & cubed
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tbsp. Flour
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. Salt
- 6 oz. Raspberries
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar + more for topping
- 2 tbsp. Whole Milk
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 1/4 Crushed Almonds
“You can easily substitute the almonds for other nuts, if you wish.”
- To begin with, unroll and place one of the crusts onto the center of a cookie sheet and after brushing it lightly with melted butter, just unroll and place the second one directly on top. Using a rolling pin, you can gently combined the two crust into one.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the peaches, brown sugar, flour and salt. Then, gently fold in the raspberries.
- Carefully spoon mixture onto the crusts, leaving a 1 1/2 inch border.
- All around, cover the edges of the pie with foil, doing so will help to keep it from over-browning.
- Next, place the cookie sheet in a 375° preheated oven and bake the Raspberry Peach Crostata for approximately 20 minutes and then remove foil and continue to bake for 15 more minutes.
- Finally, remove tray from oven.
- In a small mixing bowl prepare glaze, by combining powdered sugar, milk & vanilla.
- While Crostata is still warm, Drizzle glaze on top of and along side of the crust.
- Press crushed almonds onto the glaze and in addition, sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.
- Lastly, serve with whipped cream or your favorite ice cream. Yum!
For more easy dessert ideas try https://moppinaandwoodenspoon.com/2020/07/22/honey-spiced-peach-hand-pies-with-buttery-amaretto-glaze/
Follow The Mopppina and Wooden Spoon on Facebook & Instagram