Easy Oven “Fried” Italian Style Rice
Oven “Fried” Italian Style Rice is an easy and tasty way to use leftover rice without all the stirring and very little clean up. The secret is to cover a sheet pan with foil and let your oven do all the work.
Lots of Flavor
By combining a small amount of big Italian flavors such as garlic, anchovy, Parmesan, pancetta and tomatoes with leftover rice, you can create a dish that will taste as if you spent all day in the kitchen. A perfect side dish to any weeknight meal.
The star of my Oven “fried” Italian Style Rice was indeed the flavorful Honey Bomb Tomatoes. If these on-the-vine tomatoes are unavailable in your market, just substitute with ripe cherry or grape tomatoes.
Italian Style Rice – Entree or Side
Just last week, I made Oven “Fried” Italian Style rice as a side dish for grilled Lamb Chops. I had marinated the lamb with olive oil, garlic and rosemary so the flavors of both dishes really went well together. My family, in particular, really enjoyed the rice and asked for extra helpings. You know when that happens, the recipe is a keeper for sure.
As I said before, Oven “Fried” Italian Style Rice is an easy and tasty way to use leftover rice without all the stirring and very little clean up. You could indeed, easily use as a side for a variety of grilled meats and seafood, as well. For a great meatless entree, you could also serve it topped with a fried or poached egg. Yum!
You will need:
- 2 cups of cold cooked Rice
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ tsp. Anchovy Paste
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. grated Parmesan Cheese
- 3 oz. Chopped Pancetta (or bacon)
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 ½ cups Honey Bomb or Cherry Tomatoes
- Salt & Pepper
- Fresh Basil, chopped
- To begin with, preheat Oven to 425° and thinly coat an oven tray covered in foil if you wish, with olive oil.
- In a mixing bowl, just combine rice, egg, anchovy paste, garlic, cheese and pancetta.
- And so now, evenly spread mixture onto tray and top with tomatoes and basil.
- Then, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for approximately 20-25 minutes or until desired level of doneness.
I Served the Rice with Grilled Lamb Chops
Looking for another great side dish: https://moppinaandwoodenspoon.com/2020/08/18/savory-smashed-sweet-potato/
To Follow Moppina and Wooden Spoon on Instagram & Facebook: