Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
Crispy Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp is not only easy to make, but is also a tasty and healthy alternative to a deep-fried version. Unlike deep-fried, my air fryer recipe contains just a minimal amount of coconut oil for flavor and a crispy texture. A real crowd favorite, I served this with a honey jalapeno dipping sauce, but a mild sweet and sour sauce would also be great.
When making this, it is important that you pat the shrimp dry first. By doing so, your breading will adhere better. For a healthier option, I used coconut flour and also reduced an egg by substituted egg whites. Accordingly, you can use all-purpose flour and two eggs, if you wish. In this recipe, I brushed the breaded shrimp with a bit of coconut oil for added crispiness, however you may use a cooking spray for convenience.
In particular, make sure that you are using unsweetened coconut in this recipe. Plain coconut has no added ingredients and can work well in a savory dish, as opposed to sweetened coconut which has added sugar and is best for baking.
Certainly, these can be made gluten-free. Just be sure to use gluten-free panko bread crumbs, coupled with the naturally gluten-free shredded unsweetened coconut.
- ½ cup Coconut,or all-purpose Flour
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 large Egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup Egg Whites
- 1 tbsp. Water
- ½ cup shredded unsweetened Coconut
- 1 cup unseasoned Panko Bread Crumbs
- 1 lb. Peeled & Deveined Shrimp
- 1 tbsp. Coconut Oil
For the Dipping Sauce:
- ¼ cup Honey
- 1 tbsp. Sweet Chili Sauce
- 1 tsp. low-sodium Soy Sauce
- Juice from ½ Lime
- 1 small Jalapeno, minced
You will need:
- Shallow mixing bowls (3)
- Small pastry brush
- An Air Fryer. I simply love my Ninja
- A small serving bowl
- Serving dish
Directions for Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp
- In the first place, use a clean towel to pat Shrimp dry.
- In the first shallow bowl, add flour, together with Salt and Pepper.
- Now, in the second shallow bowl, whisk together Egg and Egg Whites, in addition to the water.
- Meanwhile, in the third shallow bowl, combine unsweetened Coconut and Bread Crumbs.
- In the order of flour, egg mixture, then breadcrumb mixture, dip the shrimp.
- Place in air fryer basket, then using a small pastry brush, gently pat a bit of the coconut oil on the shrimp.
- Heat air fryer to 400° and cook shrimp until golden and cooked through, approximately 6-7 minutes for small shrimp or 8-10 minutes if using larger shrimp.
Finally, place cooked warm shrimp on serving platter, season immediately with salt and pepper. Next, prepare the dipping sauce. In a small serving bowl, you can now stir together honey, chili sauce, soy sauce, lime juice along with minced Jalapeno. Enjoy!
Serving options for Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp:
- With a side of air fryer veggies, such as zucchini.
- With a side of fries or smashed sweet potatoes.
- Over stir-fried noodles.
- In a Club or Po’boy sandwich.
Thank you for visiting moppinaandwoodenspoon.com
One thought on “Air Fryer Coconut Shrimp”