A meal with this Creamy Turkey Noodle Soup, and maybe a piece of bread, is all you really need to feel warm and comforted.
Cook Turkey once, then make Noodle Soup
I love to prepare food that you cook once and eat twice or more. Not jut reheating leftovers, but creating a whole new meal is what I am talking about. Making soup such as my creamy turkey noodle soup is a perfect example.
Comforting Creamy Turkey Noodle Soup
Making your own stock, from the carcass of a roasted turkey or chicken is the first step. However, it is okay to use a good quality prepared stock, if you wish. Next, be sure to shred any leftover turkey or chicken meat into bite size pieces. If you cover the shredded meat with a bit of stock, it will stay moist until you are ready to use.
Easy enough, you can make this creamy turkey noodle soup with leftover or fresh veggies. When using fresh veggies, just add to the stock in the beginning and allow time for the veggies to cook. Leftover cooked veggies should be added when the soup is nearly done, since they just need to be heated through.
In this recipe, I use chopped carrots, onions and spinach. Other great veggie options include sweet potatoes, broccoli, and celery, of course.
Generally, I tend to make clear soups. In this case, I was looking for a soup with a bit more body, to feed my hungry crew on a cooler evening. A simple roux, which is just an even mixture of fat and flour, will do the trick of creating a thicker soup. For another option, just add a bit of heavy cream and stir before serving. Also, adding noodles or rice makes this soup even heartier.
This creamy Turkey Noodle Soup has a mild, somewhat sweet flavor. If, some of your crew enjoys a bit of heat, just serve some chili oil on the side and add a drizzle to the individual bowl. Serve with your favorite crackers or small dinner roll.
For 6-8 servings, you will need:
- 1/3 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1/3 cup flour
- 10-12 cups of stock
- Medium Onion, chopped
- 2-3 Carrots, cut in rounds
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- ½ lb. Fresh Spinach, chopped
- 1 cup cooked, Shredded turkey or chicken
- 2-3 cups cooked Noodles or Rice
Directions for Creamy Turkey Noodle Soup:
- In a large soup pot, begin to heat oil on medium-low heat.
- Add the flour, while stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, for 3-5 minutes.
- Next, slowly add the stock, raise heat and whisk vigorously, until smooth.
- Add onions and carrots, then continue to cook on medium heat for 30-45 minutes.
- Reduce heat to simmer on medium-low, season with salt and pepper, then add spinach.
- Remove from heat, then immediately stir in the shredded turkey or chicken along with your cooked noodles or rice. Serve in individual bowls.
Moppina and Wooden Spoon Kitchen Talk
- For added heat, in a small bowl, mix together a 2 teaspoons of calabrian chili paste along with a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and some lemon zest. Serve on the side for drizzling, on top of warm soup.
- Top soup with crushed crackers, chopped scallions, or grated parmesan,
- Warm up some homemade or purchased dinner rolls that you have brushed with melted butter, chopped fresh garlic and minced fresh basil.
- Check out more great recipes Inside the Recipe Box.
Thank you for visiting and please leave a comment below or via email.