This Sausage Marsala Panini is perfect for your next game day or small gathering. Your crew will love this modern twist on a sausage and pepper sandwich, which you can prepare ahead of time.
The Sausage Marsala Panini
I started with a few links of chicken sausage from my local market. You can use whichever raw sausage you prefer, such as sweet Italian or a spicy blend. I recommend slicing the sausage in half, widthwise and lengthwise, before cooking. This will help keep your sandwich from falling apart, when you take a bite.
Generally, when making sausage and peppers for a gathering, it is usually a good idea to keep it mild and use sweet peppers. Those that love it spicy, can always add some hot sauce to their individual serving. However, you can use hot peppers when preparing Sausage Marsala, if you prefer.
I start by combining sliced sweet peppers and onions, diced tomato, marsala wine and seasonings, along with a half cup of water or stock. Next, I spread the mixture, on the bottom of a casserole dish. This will cook in the oven, for about thirty minutes. Once the veggies have softened, don’t forget to give them a stir, before adding the sausage. I then drizzle some olive oil, onto the sausage and place the dish back into the oven, until the sausage is cooked through.
Sausage Marsala Panini Sandwiches
Panini’s are usually made with a baguette or Ciabatta bread. The sandwich is pressed, either with a panini press or by sandwiching between a hot skillet and a heavy piece of cookware. In a pinch, a brick wrapped in heavy aluminum foil, will also work.
I began by slicing my ciabatta bread in half, while my panini press was heating up. Filling it with a generous scoop of the warm sausage marsala mixture, and a slice of fresh mozzarella, before placing on the hot surface and pressing the top down.
You will need:
- 4-6 Sausage Links
- 2 sweet Red or Yellow Peppers, sliced thin
- a large Onion, sliced thin
- 1 cup diced Tomatoes
- 1 cup Marsala Wine
- 1/2 cup Water or Chicken Stock
- Salt & Pepper
- Olive Oil
- 4-6 Ciabatta or Baguette, rolls
- 4-6 slices of Mozzarella Cheese
Directions for Sausage Marsala Panini Sandwiches
- To keep your sandwich from falling apart, first slice the sausage in half, widthwise and lengthwise, before cooking.
- In a large casserole dish, combine peppers, onions, tomatoes, along with the Marsala Wine and water.
- Season mixture with salt and pepper, before spreading evenly in the dish.
- Place in a preheated 400° oven for approximately 30 minutes or until veggies have begun to soften.
- Remove from oven and give the veggies a stir, before placing sausage on top of mixture.
- Next, drizzle with olive oil and place back in oven for approximately 45 minutes or until sausage is cooked through.
- Place cooked mixture inside roll, covering with a slice of mozzarella, before placing on hot panini press.
- Toast panini sandwich until desired doneness. Eat & Enjoy!
Moppina and Wooden Spoon Kitchen Talk
- You can securely cover and store cooked Sausage Marsala in the refrigerator, for up to three days.
- Sausage Marsala Panini’s reheat well. Simply wrap individual sandwiches in heavy duty aluminum foil and warm up in conventional or toaster oven.
- Looking for more tasty sandwich recipes? Try Salt ‘n Vinegar Chicken Cubanelle
- Visit with Moppina and Wooden Spoon on Facebook and Instagram.