Yes, you can make a Crispy Chicken Sandwich, better than your favorite take-out and it only takes three steps!
Crispy Chicken Sandwich – First Step: Marinade
I start by marinating boneless chicken thighs in buttermilk. Chicken thighs are generally, what I prefer to use. Less expensive than chicken breast, they also don’t dry out as easily, making them easier to cook.
When preparing this recipe, I recommend, that you soak the chicken in buttermilk for up to 24 hours. Ideally, doing this will create a more tender and juicy Crispy Chicken Sandwich.
Crispy Chicken Sandwich – Second Step: Season
Once the chicken is done marinating, you will need to season before frying. Chicken should not be left out of fridge for more than 20 minutes. So, you should have seasoning prepared and oil heating in your pan and ready to go. Dredging and frying the chicken, while it is still cold is important for safety reasons as well as for producing a better texture.
Generally, I use a mixture of flour, along with salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika for my seasoning. You can also add some cayenne pepper, if you like it spicy.
Crispy Chicken Sandwich – Third Step: Fry
To tell the truth, I used to hate frying. Oh, the mess! Really, does anyone like to clean up an oil splattered stove? Then, I thought about how my Nonna would use a tall pot for frying foods, such as meatballs and zeppole’s. Doing so, definitely reduces clean-up.
So, I poured about 2-3 inches of oil into my deepest pot. Then, after making sure the oil was a hot 375°, I dipped the marinated chicken thighs in the seasoned flour, before carefully placing in pot.
Note, you should cook in batches, if there isn’t enough room. Using tongs, make sure to turn occasionally. Cook until they are golden, for about 18 minutes or until they are cooked through.
You will need
- 4 Boneless skin-on Chicken Thighs
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- 2 cups Flour
- 1/2 tsp. Paprika
- 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
- Salt & Pepper
- 2-3 cups Cooking Oil ( Canola, Peanut Oil)
- 4 rolls, split
- Optional: lettuce leaves, plain or spicy mayo
- Marinate Chicken in the buttermilk, for up to 24 hours.
- Dip cold Chicken into flour, that has been mixed with seasonings, salt and pepper.
- Heat oil to 375°, in a deep fry pan, then using tongs, carefully place chicken and turn occasionally. Cook until chicken thighs are golden, for about 18 minutes or until cooked through.
I place the cooked chicken, on a clean towel and while still hot, season with salt. Then, serve on your favorite roll with lettuce and mayo.
Moppina and Wooden Spoon Kitchen Talk
- This Crispy Chicken Sandwich can easily be made spicy by adding cayenne, to the seasoning mix. Crave more heat? Simply, add a few splashes of your favorite hot sauce, to your mayo.
- Double the batch and serve leftovers, sliced over a Caesar Salad for another meal.
- Try Salt ‘n Vinegar Chicken Cubanelle, for another great sandwich idea.
- Visit Moppina and Wooden Spoon on Facebook and Instagram