This Sheet-Pan Orange Chicken, along with Broccoli and Shallots is a lighter spin on a take-out favorite. The sweet-savory chicken, in addition to the roasted veggies, requires minimal fuss for a big flavor meal, that you are sure to love.
Sheet-Pan Orange Chicken
I start with bone-in chicken thighs, for maximum taste and juiciness. You can leave the skin on or remove it before cooking, if you prefer. My crew loves crispy chicken, so I opted for skin-on.
Making the Glaze
In order to make the glaze, you will need a few ingredients you may already have in your pantry and fridge. For instance, orange marmalade, orange juice, soy sauce, and a splash of white vinegar, is all you need for the base. Furthermore, to balance the sweetness, you will need some grated garlic, a finely chopped jalapeno, and some fresh ground black pepper.
Veggies for Sheet-Pan Orange Chicken
Roasted veggies, in particular, is my kids favorite way to eat vegetables. The natural sugars in vegetables are released when roasted, and they become slightly caramelized as well as crispy.
When making Sheet-Pan Orange Chicken, you can use a variety of your favorite veggies, such as carrots, brussels sprouts or cauliflower. I like to use broccoli with shallots.
All you need to do is rinse clean your fresh veggies, then chop them into bite size pieces. Toss them with a bit of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
You will need:
- 3/4 cup Orange Marmalade
- 1/2 cup Orange Juice
- 1/4 cup Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp. White Wine Vinegar
- 1-2 cloves Garlic, grated
- A small Jalapeno Pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 4-6 Bone-in Chicken Thighs
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs. Fresh Broccoli, chopped
- 2-3 large Shallots, cut in wedges
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
Directions for Sheet-Pan Orange Chicken
- Begin with placing your sheet pan in your oven, for about 10 minutes, while preheating to 400°.
- At this time, combine orange marmalade with orange juice, soy sauce, garlic and jalapeno in a mixing bowl.
- Remove sheet pan from oven, and place on a heat proof surface.
- Gently, pat dry chicken thighs and place them on one-half of the heated sheet pan. Season with salt and pepper.
- Brush a light coating of the glaze over the chicken thighs and, then place in oven for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another mixing bowl, toss cut veggies with olive oil.
- Carefully remove tray from oven, after 20 minutes, then add veggies to the other half.
- Now, pour the remaining glaze over the chicken, then season entire tray with salt and pepper.
- Place back in the oven and continue to cook for another 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Of course, make sure to spoon any extra glaze, along with pan drippings, over the chicken. Serve chicken with broccoli and shallots.
Moppina and Wooden Spoon Kitchen Talk
- Generally, like to “repurpose” my leftovers.
- Remaining veggies along with chicken can be shredded and rolled in a tortilla for lunch.
- Scramble an egg into rice, add leftover shredded chicken and veggies. Toss with your favorite teriyaki sauce and a splash of hot sauce for Spicy Chicken Veggie Fried Rice.
- For more recipes, tap on Inside The Recipe Box
- To share your favorite twist on this recipe please leave a comment below or contact MoppinaandWoodenSpoon@gmail.com
- You can find Moppina and Wooden Spoon on Facebook and Instagram.
One thought on “Sheet-Pan Orange Chicken”