Whether you call it a dip or a spread, this is The Ultimate Hummus Plate. So, unbelievably fresh tasting and no cooking required. Without a doubt, you will want to serve this at your next social gathering.
Hummus is typically made with a blend of chickpeas, tahini, garlic and olive oil. There are several ready-made brands as well as a variety of flavors, available in most food stores.
However, did you know that Hummus is actually quite easy to make? The fresh taste of homemade hummus, also taste much better than anything you can buy at a store. As an added bonus, any leftover hummus can be refrigerated for up to five days or in your freezer for up to 6 months. Just, be sure to keep the leftovers chilled and stored in a proper sealed container before refrigerating or freezing. I also add an extra drizzle of olive, just enough to coat the surface, to keep it from drying out.
When I’m entertaining, I love to serve light and tasty, serve yourself appetizers. I recommend, filling a basket with warm flatbreads and another with bagel chips, to go with this Ultimate Hummus Plate.
Ultimate Hummus Plate
Because of all the flavorful toppings, I prefer to make a basic hummus with a touch of lemon for the base of my Ultimate Hummus Plate. Generally, I prepare my hummus the night before a party, BBQ or simple get-together. I place it in a bowl and cover it with plastic wrap, until I’m ready to plate it.
For the toppings, I like to use sliced baby cucumbers, small colorful tomatoes, olive tapenade and marinated red onions (I slice red onions and cover for a few hours, with a basic vinaigrette), along with feta cheese and fresh parsley. You can also add diced sweet peppers or chopped scallions, if you like.
For approximately 3 cups of Hummus, you will need:
- 1/2 cup Tahini Paste
- 1/2 fresh Lemon Juice
- 3-4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 – 15oz. cans of Chickpeas, drained
- 4-6 tbsp. Water
- 3 Baby Cucumber, sliced
- 3-4 small Red, Yellow and Green Tomatoes, quartered
- 1/2 cup Olive Tapenade
- small Red Onion, sliced and marinated in vinaigrette
- 6 oz. fresh Feta Cheese, crumbled
- a handful of fresh Parsley Chopped
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp. everything bagel seasoning
- Olive Oil
Directions for The Ultimate Hummus Plate
- Using a large food processor, combine the tahini and lemon juice, for one minute.
- Scrape down bowl, then add the minced garlic, olive oil and salt.
- Process for another minute, then scrape down bowl again, before adding half of the chickpeas.
- Process for one more minute, then scrape down bowl again, before adding remaining chickpeas.
- Continue to process for another 2 minutes, while slowly adding water, one tablespoon at a time, until desired consistency.
- Taste and add more salt, if needed.
- Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and cover tightly with wrap, then refrigerate until ready to plate.
- On a large round platter, place prepared hummus in center.
- Along the edge of the plate, add sections of the cucumbers, tomatoes and olives. Then, top with red onions.
- Next, sprinkle Feta over cucumbers and tomatoes, then add parsley.
- Now, just season entire platter with chili powder, cumin and everything bagel seasoning.
- Drizzle entire platter with olive oil.
Serve platter alongside baskets of warm flatbread and bagel chips.